Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My New Friend With Benefits!

So I had to tell you about my 'new' best friend. Like I mean literally...

I had seen him many times before but never quite desired to try him out on a regular basis. Why? Well, I though it would be too much drama getting him ready. I loved the way he looked and tasted but I wasn't willing to put in the work it took to get him to look all pretty and colorful. I love pretty and colorful things :-)

Ok, about 3 months ago, I decided to take him home since he would add tremendous benefits to my life; QUINOA! Yes that's right. This unbelievable nutritious cholesterol-free and low-fat source of protein is changing e minha vida. Talk about benefits! I have been juicing on a regular basis (almost everyday) for the past year and a half and I thought that was about the greatest thing ever, however, I consider Quinoa just as amazing.

For the past 4 days, I have been boiling some every morning and after a great workout, I have a bowl for lunch and then again for dinner. On a separate frying pot, depending on my mood, I stir fry (in organic coconut oil) everything from beets, asparagus, okra, beans, pumpkin, tiny pieces of yam, beans, broccoli etc and then once the Quinoa is boiled, I mix it all in one pot. Talk about benefits - Deva's!

I have been on a health tip for awhile now (not overboard) and I have also decided to incorporate some other healthy living habits to my life. I have enrolled into some 'Nutrition and Fitness' courses at Humber and I am totally excited to learn more. After all, what are we or what do we have without a healthy mind, body and soul?

I ask God everyday to use my life as an example of Him. I mean if I say God is the author of my life, I am sure that means, He would want for me to treat my body as a temple as well, right? Well, that is my desire. The more I learn, the more empowered I feel. I will forever be a student when it comes to Him.
More on Quinoa:

According to the USDA nutrient database, 1 cup of cooked quinoa (185 g) contains 8.14 grams of protein. To put that in reference, the recommended daily protein intake is about 56 grams for most men and 46 for most women.

Quinoa is naturally low in fat, but as a seed, it does have a small amount. One cup of cooked quinoa provides 3.4 grams of fat. By comparison, 185 grams cooked lean ground beef provides 33 grams of fat. Remarkable huh?

Quinoa is relatively low in calories. One cup of cooked quinoa provides 222 calories.

Quinoa is a great source of iron and fiber for vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores alike. One cup of cooked quinoa (185 grams) provides 15% of the recommended daily intake of iron, and 5 grams of fiber, which is 21% the recommended amount. Quinoa is also an excellent source of magnesium, with 118 mg per cup, cooked. According to the USDA nutrient database, one cup of cooked quinoa provides:

•39.41 mg carbohydrates
•31 mg calcium
•2.76 mg iron
•318 mg potassium
•13 mg sodium
•2.02 mg zinc




So Ladies, go ahead and pay Bulk Barn (my favorite store) a visit and get boiling :-)


Love, Lizzy


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis