Thursday, October 24, 2013

Women Are Changing the Game!



I woke up this morning feeling like I could fly. Literally.

I was a special guest (what an honor) at The Canadian Women's Foundation Breakfast yesterday morning at The Metro Convention Centre and let me tell you I had the privilege of sitting at the head table with some amazing women who are literally changing the game for girls nation wide. Women like 'Sally Armstrong' who is a 3-time Amnesty International Canada award winner, a member of the Order of Canada, the holder of 7 honorary degrees, a teacher, journalist and human rights activist and let me add to that a funny and total down to earth gal. And sitting right next to me was the beautiful 'Mary MowBray' who is Co-Chair of the Canadian Women’s Foundation (www.cdnwomen.org), Canada’s national public foundation for women and girls,  Past President of Toronto CREW (Commercial Real Estate Women) and has created a mentoring program through Toronto CREW for young women in Toronto’s commercial real estate industry. Those are just a couple of the phenomenal world changers I was blessed to chat and share with yesterday.
As I sat back and listened to these women present, I couldn't help but feel the need to do more. More for our girls and women all over this country who are living in total darkness with no sense of self-worth; in the hands of their abusers and monsters (as I called it-growing up). I mean really....are we doing enough? There is abuse and poverty happening right in our own backyards. When was the last time you walked up to a single mother's front door and placed a couple bags of milk there? Actually, I did it this morning. I try to practice this act of kindness as often as I can and after yesterdays event, I woke up with the pressing desire to do so-this morning.
 
As I look at what's happening in the world around me, I can't help but feel crushed. I am careful in turning my TV and Radio on - in fear of my little guy seeing commercials advertising half naked women or hearing music playing with provocative lyrics detailing how some guy 'wants to do some girl' and calling her by some trashy name. Just log onto Twitter and Facebook and browse through pages belonging to our youth and you will see how disturbing it all is. I am constantly running into Twitter accounts that promote sex and violence in one way or another. Human Trafficking is now taking place on-line on Social Media. I mean, did you ever think we'd live to see that? I didn't.
 
 
I truly believe that every girl is placed on this earth to accomplish something outstanding, something that only she can do. There is no other person in this world that can do that 'thing' the way she can. It is up to us women to ensure our young girls get a chance. She may have no other person in her world inspiring her to fulfill her destiny and purpose. That person may be YOU. 
 
Stand up and make a difference. Don't turn the other cheek. You don't have to be a Sally Armstrong to make a difference. She too, started with one small step.
 
I don't know about you but I am on board with changing the game!
 
I leave you with this amazing video taken from
 
Lilly Myers
"Shrinking Women"
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis