Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Word "Church"


For many years I had no understanding of the word "church" and as a result I barely understood why things were the way they were. Why were so many people who were born and raised in the church so lost? I mean, I saw very little difference between them and me. And believe me I was definitely lost. This was before I knew the difference between born again and baptised. hhhmmm....

I was a member in a church for years and never heard anyone speak of this word in the way it was created to be. To be honest, most of the sermons  that were being preached from the pulpit were repetitive. There wasn't ever a real BANG! I mean, I can say this now because of the teachings I now receive. None the less, I thank God for that time in my life as well because I was saved in the hands of the church (the people that God worked in my life through).

If I knew then what I know now...oh boyyyy.

The word "church" means a "called out" set of people. 

The scripture talks about you and I as the church. We are the church. Not the building. The church (God) is within you and I. We are Gods temple and Gods Spirit dwells within us.

1 Corinthians 3:17 


If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

It's not the building that's Holy, it's you and I. It's not the building the bible describes as 'church' it's you and I. It's not the building that holds great power, it's you and I. The building has absolutely no power. It's just a building where we can stay warm or out of severe weather conditions. It's a building for us to fellowship with one-another. It's a place where we can set up special programs for our children etc.. If we were to do what Jesus did thousands of years ago; and gather outside on the streets teaching Gods Word, rest assure we'd all be arrested. 

We've got to change our mindset about the word "church". Too many of us go and feel this great power within the four walls and then leave empty. Week in and week out. Year in and year out. We get powered up by the presence of God and the Word, but then we walk out leaving the power in the 'building' and back to our old ways. 

God doesn't dwell in a building made by man's hands. He dwells in us. But we are not functioning in this power. I say WE! Not you. How can we know if we are functioning in that power? Are you living with love, strength, courage, forgiveness, faith...power? Do you have any sense of who you are and what your purpose is? If the answer is YES, then you most likely see yourself as the church and not the building. By the way, once upon a time for a very long time, I lived a powerless life. Until of course, I was introduced to TRUTH. 

Can you imagine if we started to see that building as just a place we go to fellowship and to grow? Can you imagine the breakthroughs we'd experience if we were to function in the power that was given to us- outside of the walls? God wants us to become a certain kind of person so that He can give us what we truly want. Which is purpose. A person with no purpose lives a hot and cold life. The scripture says God would rather us be cold then to be luke warm (confused, good one day and bad the other).

If I am the church, then everywhere I go, God is there. If I am the church, then everything I do, I do with purpose. If I am the church, then fear is not suppose to live in my temple (body). If I am the church, then I am not suppose to have people up in my heart. If I am the church, then I am not suppose to gossip. Period. If I am the church, then no matter what's going on in my wilderness, I am expected to hold my head high. If I am the church, then I am the light. If I am the church, then sickness is NOT welcome in my body. If I am the church, then I am the salt of the world. If I am the church, then I will worship in the building, in my workplace, in my car, grocery store and anywhere I go. My worship can simply be, "Lord, I worship you. I give you all the praises and honour" in everything I do. If I am the church, then there is no problem that stands above me, I stand above my problems. If I am the church, then the church will glow through me. If I am the church, then the answers I need to fulfil my destiny dwells within me.


1 Corinthians 3:9 


For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.

I AM the CHURCH. I am a called out woman!



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis